Thursday, September 23, 2010

JEWELRY: scrimshaw pendants



I love ancient artisanal techniques and love to explore/study different ways to apply and incorporate these techniques in my work. I appreciate the rawness and naivete in these older techniques and the whole process of experimenting with different ways to make these oft forgotten skills relevant today is a continual obsession for me.
I discovered this scrimshaw artist's work in Bar Harbor, Maine and commissioned him to scrimshaw these designs for pendants. The simplest way to describe scrimshaw is that it is a little bit like tattooing, where the artist deposits many drops of ink to create a larger image. Scrimshaw is an ancient marine art that sailors used to practice during their long voyages at sea using whale bones or horn. I use a fossilized coral as the base material, this is not an endangered product and is readily available in the Pacific Northwest. These pendants are reversible to an oxidized blackened silver with a drop of 24k gold, prices start at $295 with different chain options available, please email for more information, info@tamtranjewelry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment